With my 26th birthday quickly approaching, the state of Massachusetts decided to give me a present this afternoon: sitting in the RMV for three hours waiting to renew my license. Thank you so much Bay State. It did give me time, however to go into full thought and think up some goodies for this week. So while others swore silently to themselves(or out loud, that happened too), here is what popped into my head.
1. Lebron James, Rajon Rondo, and Zach Randolph are currently tied for the league lead in double-doubles with seven. Not so surprising. What is surprising, is that guys like Kenneth Faried, Marcin Gortat and J.J. Hickson are tied with Chris Paul and Kevin Durant for third with five.
2. Danny Green is finally getting the attention he deserves after that winner in LAL last night. As the 5th option(6th if you include Ginobili) in the Spurs offense he is averaging 11, 3, 1 and 1 in just under 30 minutes a game. It wasn’t too long ago he was a 12th man in Cleveland and now is a valuable starter on a contender.
3. The T-Wolves injuries might finally be catching up to them. A loss to a Bobcats team which was blaitantly trying to give them a win showed how thin they currently are. As a fan of watching them on league pass, I am hoping this doesn’t turn into a “what could have been” season.
4. Bill Simmon’s commented about this on his podcast, but Omer Asik is turning into a complete steal for the Rockets because of his salary. Paying eight million a year for the next three and getting what they are out of him(he could easily be the league leader in rebounds at season’s end) is looking like quite the investment.
5. Glen Davis had five shots blocked by Joakim Noah in the Magic’s recent loss to Chicago. That is literally the equivalent of me trying to put up shots against my older brother. When I was six. And he was thirteen.
6. Don’t call me a genius, but J.J. Redick has been in the starting lineup lately for the Magic, and it looks as though it’s going to stay that way as long as he keeps playing well. Redick has had double figures in all but one game, and has had at least six assists in all but two.
7. Looking at the top 10 draft picks right now, there is real no one player that you could say is a complete bust. Terrence Ross(lack of minutes) and Thomas Robinson(suspension) are really the only two who you could consider calling a dissapointment thus far.
8. While everyone is praising Carmelo for his hot start(deservedly so), it is the Knick’s defense that deserves credit for the 5-0 start. They are currently ranked first in opponent’s PPG(87.8) and seventh in opponent’s FG%(.423).
9. Brooklyn has quietly gotten off to a 4-2 start, and is playing a Boston team in a back to back tonight. It could be the most boring 4-2 start ever, and they technically should be 5-1 after blowing a 22 point lead to the T-Wolves.
10. With the King’s off to another slow start(2-6), they need to look at seeing what they can get for Tyreke Evans. A first pass point guard and a veteran with some actual value should be at the top of their list.
11. Remember when Tyrus Thomas was going to be the next big thing? He’s not even starting in Charlotte anymore, and will probably be out of the league in the next three years.
12. If the NBA did things the BCS way, The Spurs would play the Knicks in a one game playoff. Yeah, I know, it makes no sense right?
13. Jeremy Lamb has been the forgotten man in the Harden trade. Once thought of as a major piece who was going to be coming off of Houston’s bench, Lamb has averaged just three minutes a game in OKC.
14. Today in 1960 Elgin Baylor scored 71 points for the Lakers in a win over the Knicks. I learned something today.
15. Luol Deng currently leads the league with minutes played at 41 a game, with his teammate Joakim Noah not far behind at 39. Lebron James isn’t even in the top 20.
16. Andris Biedrins has shot just 71 free throws in the past four years. He’s only made 17 of them(24%).
17. If Jason Kidd stays healthy and plays in all 77 of the Knick’s remaining games, he will be seventh on the all time list in games played. He only need to play in nine more to crack the top 10.
18. Kemba Walker is being heralded for his game winning shot last night, but has had a turnover and two crazy hero drives in the last minute to will usually cost his team the game.
19. Predictions I’d like to take back: The Pistons losing to the 76ers. Reverse jinx much?
20. The Celtics can’t rebound at all. Infact, they are averaging a league worst six offensive rebounds a game.
21. The Royce White story is getting depressing now. For a player who could be a great voice for young athletes with anxiety, he is struggling to find a place and a happy medium as a traveling NBA player. We are all hoping it works out for him.
22. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist does the weird thing when he runs. It’s like he is losing control of his arms. It’s not lazy, but it’s just weird. I searched the internet to no avail, but make sure to watch out for it next time you check out a Bobcats game. It’s quite the scene.
Until next time, your amazing NBA YouTube Clip!